BUILD A HEALTHER HERD THROUGH BETTER GENETICS NOW WITH CALF WELLNESS TRAITS
Genomic testing with CLARIFIDE® Plus can help identify females with the greatest potential to help reach herd health and profitability goals from calves to cows.
Health events have a significant impact on herd health, saleable milk and producer profitability.
- Profitability is enhanced when a dairy has the advantage of mature cows that are productive and healthy for multiple lactations.
- To reach their full potential and longevity, animals need to remain healthy from birth until calving, and then cows must stay healthy and be reproductively sound, in addition to producing milk.
CLARIFIDE Plus is the first and only genomic test that delivers information on all these traits:
- Eight cow wellness traits — mastitis, lameness, metritis, retained placenta, displaced abomasum, ketosis, milk fever and respiratory disease.
- Three additional fertility traits — cystic ovary, abortion and twinning.
- Three calf wellness traits — calf liveability, respiratory disease and scours.
These genetic predictions are based on data collected from millions of health records.
CLARIFIDE Plus allows you to rank animals using the Dairy Wellness Profit Index® (DWP$®) which is based on traits that affect health, performance and lifetime profit of cows and calves.
- First year external field study results in the USA showed that the lowest 25 percent of genomic animals for their respective disease risks in each herd are approximately two times more likely to have mastitis, lameness, metritis, displaced abomasum, retained placenta and ketosis than the best 25 percent of animals genomically1.
- Cow and calf wellness genomic predictions were developed because of the commitment by Zoetis to the continuum of care for dairy cattle. Zoetis strives to improve dairy wellness and understand genetic factors impacting resistance to common diseases in dairy cattle.
CLARIFIDE® Plus offers Holstein and Jersey producers a comprehensive package of trait predictions and economic indexes for health events to empower genetic selection strategies.
- The use of Dairy Wellness Profit Index (DWP$) would be expected to offer similar selection emphasis to that achieved by Net Merit (NM$) on traditional traits, but applies additional selection emphasis on cow and calf wellness traits to change rankings and increase the amount of profitability identified and possible over their lifetime.
- Wellness Trait Index® (WT$®) estimates differences in expected lifetime profit associated with risk of diseases in cows (mastitis, lameness, metritis, retained placenta, displaced abomasum, ketosis, cow respiratory, and milk fever (Jersey only)) in addition to adding the economic value for the polled gene.
- The Calf Wellness Index™ (CW$™) estimates the difference in expected lifetime profit associated with risk of calfhood diseases and early death losses by including calf livability, calf respiratory disease and calf scours.
- DWP$ differs from other economic indexes because it includes predictions for economically important diseases in cows and calves. By including more characteristics affecting profitability, DWP$ describes more genetic variation in profitability than other indexes.
- McNeel AK, Reiter BC, Weigel D, Osterstock J, Di Croce FA. Validation of genomic predictions for wellness traits in US Holstein cows. J Dairy Sci. 2017;100:9115–9124.
Additional CLARIFIDE Plus Resources
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
You are leaving the country website to access another site in the group.
Regulatory constraints and medical practices vary from country to country. Consequently, the information provided on the site in which you enter may not be suitable for use in your country.